Saturday, July 25, 2009

Georgia - Rome

Oh, how I wish it was Rome, Italy, I was writing about.

But it's not. It's Rome, Georgia, and I was pleasantly surprised at my little trip over there yesterday. I'm used to attending staff retreats at Berry College (located in Rome), so this time I went straight downtown because I've never been down there before and it was pretty darn nice. They're in full revitalization mode, so it looks pretty beautiful.

After walking around downtown and window shopping, I ate a late lunch at a local restaurant that made excellent homemade key lime pie with fresh whipped cream. It was very tasty. I purposefully bypassed any restaurant that promoted itself as a "country kitchen." Last year on a road trip with Nicholas, I had a gastrointestinal reaction to a country kitchen HE made us eat at, so I avoid them now. The restaurant name was spelled "kountry kitchen", which irked me to no end. I like to refer to that as "the road trip of a thousand emergency bathroom breaks."

Back to Rome... I didn't get nearly as many good pictures as I like, but it was a beautiful day to be outside, so no regrets! Here are the pictures:


I intentionally shot this picture to get a nice shot of downtown with the Coca-Cola logo on that brick building. Doesn't this picture just scream Americana? What I unintentionally got in the photo was the orange caution sign on the back of an SUV that reads: "Prison Work Detail." Although it totally ruins the idyllic image I was going for, it made me laugh pretty hard when I saw it!



This is the clock tower of City Hall. Just thought it was pretty because I have a soft spot for clock towers. Don't know why, just do.



Another unintentional shot. I wanted to take a picture of this storefront because it's the epitome of a downtown storefront to me. What I got was a self portrait I didn't see until I downloaded the pictures onto the computer. Ha! Can you find the photographer?



This one made me laugh out loud on the street all by myself. It was on a tattoo parlor storefront and, if you can't read it, the sign says, "%^& yeah it hurt." HA! This phrase would never come out of my tattoo-loving sister's mouth, but it definitely would come out of mine.

0 comments: